Let’s hope you have not waited till now to start thinking about Staff Evaluations. With the right approach and organization your Employee Reviews will be a snap.
Here are 5 ways to get started on the right foot:
- Review Employee Goals from previous year – Determine what has and hasn’t been accomplished.
- Have all your employees complete a Self Review and compile the results promptly. Give them no more than a week to complete.
- Review Employee Attendance – Did anybody have an excessive absentism or an abundance of late / tardy issues.
- Review Employee Accomplishments – These are the special things such as customer compliments, major milestones, and special beyond the call of duty items. Make sure these items are considered and noted.
- Make sure you have the right tools in place to do Staff Evaluations, Track Attendance, Employee Accomplishments, and everything needed to track Employee Behavior. Now you are ready!
There are few products in the market place that actually give you the tools needed to accomplish all the 5 items listed above
has 2 products named HRweb
that will make Staff Evaluations a snap. The clock is ticking, download a free trial
at now risk.
Typically inconsiderate employees shouldn’t receive a good Employee Review, but some slip through the cracks. We live in a world where consideration for our fellow humans is not a priority.
Examples of Inconsiderate Employee Behavior:
- Not returning calls
- Being Late for meetings, events, …
- Not Notifying ahead of time for cancellation, re-scheduling, lateness – are people constantly re-scheduling their name because of someone else’s inconsideration
- Not Promptly responding to RSVP’s for events, meetings, or other appointments – Have the courtesy to let people know if you can’t make it. It is hard to plan your day around “Not sure”, “Don’t know”, “I’ll get back with you”, or worse of all is NO RESPONSE.
- Not respecting Managers and Employees’ time. It works both ways.
Consideration or Inconsideration should weigh heavily into Employee Evaluations. An inconsiderate employee is not a productive employee, not a team player, and worse of all is that they make everybody else just a little less productive.
In life outside of work, there is not a lot we can do about inconsiderate people. If possible, we can reduce the number of them we include in our inner circle. At work, it’s a totally different story. Say after me “I WON’T TAKE IT ANY MORE“. Here is your chance as a manager to hold your employees to the highest standards of behavior.
On that next Employee Review, make sure you reward those considerate employees and give the inconsiderate ones what they really deserve. If you want to make an impactful statement that could modify future employee behavior, here’s your chance. Looking for a good Employee Evaluation product, take a look at the products we offere at ManagerAssistant.com and start holding employees accountable.
How do you strike that perfect balance between employees that desperatley need to take time off and the ones that call off work once a week? Having a good Attendance Tracking program is key, but that in itself is not enough. Having the ability to document employee actions and behavior and the ability to Review this with employees is critical to maintaining the right balance.
Ways to tell if someone desperately needs vacation:
- Have you seen an increasing change in the behavior of an employee where they seem to be less tolerant of other people than they were before.
- is this the type of employee that doesn’t know how to say NO? They continue to take on more and more projects without regard to their own sanity. As their manager, it is up to you to intervene before this get’s to a breaking point.
- You need to have a good Workforce Management Software product that tracks Employee Attendance. This gives you the ability to easily analyze and see if employees are taking their vacation. See how long its been. If it has been 6 months or longer maybe this person needs to take a few days or even a week off. Encourage them to go somewhere and get away completely.
- You need to be communicating and measuring Employee Performance on a regular basis. Set Goals, Perform regular Employee Reviews, and think these hard working employees. Maybe if someone would occasionally give them a pat on the back they would be able to give themselves a break for a change.
- Have a clear chain of command. Sometimes an employee can be overworked, confused, and brought to a breaking point because they are being pulled in so many directions. In a well organized company, all direction for day to day tasks should come from their direct manager.
Really the key to making sure employees take time off when needed is good communication and an effective Workforce Management Tool
for tracking Employee Attendance, Employee Reviews, Goals, and much more. ManagerAssistant.com
offers two products HRweb
and ManagerAssistant 3.0
that can help with this. We encourage you to try our 14 day demo at no risk
and take the first step to restoring sanity to your organization.