Are you running for the door at the thought of doing an Employee Annual Review? There are many reasons why we procastinate, run away, and have nightmares about dong Employee Reviews.
Here are 5 tips that will have you running towards your responsibilities:
- Communicate regularly throughout the year so you are creating a reasonable expectation and have an understanding by the employee. The anxiety between the manager and the employee is caused entirely by a lack of communication. We fear confrontation so we let the issues build without saying anything. The next thing you know it’s Employee Review time again.
- Plan Ahead – maintain documentation throughout the year. Know what categories and ratings criteria will be used and share this information with your employees.
- Be Fair, but be Strong – you owe it to your employee, your organization, and yourself to be honest about your employee evaluations. A Performance Review that doesn’t truly reflect reality will haunt you.
- Be Objective – put your emotions on hold and give your employee reviews based on facts. Give Employees what they deserve.
- Implement an Employee Performance Management Solution that will enable you to do your job easily. It should be easy to use and let you customize your categories / ratings criteria to your companies needs. This is the key to being organized and having the proper documentation all in one place. Do yourself a favor and try one of our products at ManagerAssistant.com
“Where’s my Christmas Bonus?” If your employees are asking you this question then are many issues that need to be addressed. Starting with your Performance Evaluation System.
The Christmas bonus example is just one example of what happens when employees aren’t given goals and proper Employee Reviews are not conducted regularly. Employees will take for granite their bonuses after awhile and in their minds it is part of their salary. They plan for it.
I am sure most have seen the Chevy Chase movie “Christmas Vacation” where Chevy Chase’s character loses his mind when his expected bonus comes through in the form of the “Jelly of the Month” club or something like that. He had plans of building a fabalous pool and fantacised about it often. Set proper expectations with your employees and avoid this common mistake.
5 Steps to Avoid Christmas Bonus Awkwardness:
- Set clear expectations about what goals need to be achieved by the employee and company.
- Set Reasonable expectations for the amount of bonuses and how bonuses are calculated. No surprises – discuss this as early in the year as possible.
- Give performance based bonuses when possible. This is the best case scenario because the bonus nor the amount are considered automatic.
- Regular communication and updates throughout the year so that employees can understand their progress in obtaining their goal.
- Regular Employee Reviews. Have a Performance Evaluation System in place.
We encourage to obtain and implement a Performance Evaluation System
that suits your organization best. ManagerAssistant.com
has 2 products that are easy to use and affordable. If you do not have a Performance Management Software
application in place, we encourage you to try our product at no risk
and get the new year off to a good start.
If you are pressed to do your next Performance Review, don’t lose your sanity. Here are some tips for making your next Employee Reviews much easier.
- Don’t put off those difficult Employee Reviews that you dread so much. Do the ones that you dread most first and reduce your stress greatly. Human nature is to put off as long as possible, but by fighting that tendency you can make your Performance Management process a walk in the park.
- Set clear concise goals with your employees in advance. This will reduce the stress and the shock on the employees. Employee Review time is not the time to set Goals retroactively
- Keep it simple – Stick to the facts. Sometimes less is more. if you don’t get too carried away with having too many Employee Review categories, the categories you choose will have more weight and importance. Too many categories will dilute the Employee Review.
- Make sure your Employee Management Software has an easy to use Employee Appraisal application. This will reduce your many hours into a few minutes.
This time of year is always rushed and stressful with the holidays and the new year right around the corner. Have your Employees’ Annual Reviews
well planned and organized ahead of time. Most importantly, you need an Employee Performance Review solution
application that’s going to make your life easier. HRweb
are products offered by us at ManagerAssistant.com
. Take a moment and download a 14 day demo
. Do a Performance Review for free.
Below we are going to outline the top 5 ways to make your Performance Evaluation System effective.
- Identify the rating criteria and categories to be used with your Employee Performance Reviews
- Plan ahead – Give yourself ample time. Employee Reviews that are rushed are filled with inacuracies. It is not fair to the employee or your organization.
- Set Concise Goals – Sometime before the Review period starts you should set Goals with each employee. It is important to be clear about your expectations and objectives.
- Make sure your Employee Reviews are balanced and honest. You owe it to your employees and your organization to be honest. However, avoid being dramatic or exaggerating issues. It is important to be objective. Make sure you point out accomplishments. Don’t turn it into a gripe session.
- Make sure you have implemented an easy to use and effective Performance Management Solution such as HRweb or ManagerAssistant for example. These are products that are available through our company ManagerAssistant.com.
The items above may seem like common sense, but they are commonly overlooked. It has become way too common for Individual Employee Appraisals
to be rushed, sloppy, disorganized. Your employees will be telling each other what a joke the Employee Review
process has become. Now is the time to make sure you have a product like HRweb
or ManagerAssistant 3.0
. It’s that time of the year!
Time to get control of your employees. We encourage you to evaluate our products by signing up for a 14 day evaluation
. Don’t take our word for it, check it out yourself
An individual performance appraisal can be as simple or as hard as you want to make it. Here are the keys to making your Review Process simple:
- Determine basic core values that are critical to your organization and then decide what employee attributes are necessary to satisfy both company core values and to accomplish employee goals that are job specific.
- Decide what rating scale should be used. For example 1 thru 5 with 1 being high or vice versa. You can have as many ratings as needed, but try not to over due it. Five seems to be a good “rule of thumb”, but maybe you need 10 to truly measure employees.
- Don’t overcomplicate things, keep it simple and basic, and then just do it. It’s easy to get carried away and build a monstrosity that nobody understands. Worst of all, Individual Performance Appraisals will not be completed on time or maybe not at all. Be careful of the web you weave.
- Use performance appraisal software that is easy to use and contains Review criteria that makes sense for your organization.
There are 2 products from ManagerAssistant.com that are powerful yet masterful in their “keep it simple” approach. HRweb is an online subscription based product with a low monthly fee. ManagerAssistant 3.0 is a Windows based product that can be installed on an individual PC or on a network.
Try our products risk free for 14 days and create an individual performance appraisal in minutes – life will become just a little easier.